Ruislip
King's College Playing Fields Track
King's College Sports Ground, King's College Road, RUISLIP, HA4 7JZ
Greater London
Photos
No approved photos yet - be the first to add one.
Track Information
UpdatedFacilities
1 SP
None
None
None
Additional Information
The track was built in 1951 and was used by Ruislip & Northwood AC. In 1966 they amalgamated with Finchley Harriers and became Hillingdon AC. After this most matches were held at Hayes Stadium and so the track went into disuse. David Hemery regularly trained on the track in the years leading up to the 1968 Olympics. Until 2000 the track was overgrown and appeared to be deserted although it was sometimes used by Hillingdon AC for distance running training mainly because it is near their clubhouse and it is a fairly pleasant place to train. In March 2000 a ?19,437 grant from the London Marathon Trust was awarded to Hillingdon council to restore the track to a proper usable state by renovating the old cinder surface, doing some basic gardening and replacing the low perimeter fence but there was no attempt to incorporate any field event facilities. The track was cleared and the under surface renewed by September 2000 and the top surface was finished by spring 2001. However by August 2002 the weeds were starting to return with the outside lanes rather overgrown. The track is a slightly odd shape in that it has relatively long straights and short bends and is still 440y. There is a pavilion at the track but it is all boarded up. The only field-event facility still visible is a SP circle although this is unusable as it is not level. The steeplechase water jump has been removed and grassed over but the outline of the pit can still be seen.
Suggest an Edit
Spotted something out of date - opening times, charges, facilities? Suggest a correction and a track admin will review it.