Synthetic, 400m, 6 lanes, 8 lane straight Access Restricted

Oxford

Oxford University Track

Oxford University Sports Centre, Iffley Road, OXFORD, OX4 1EQ

Oxfordshire

Map showing the location of Oxford
Photos
Oxford

No approved photos yet - be the first to add one.

Track Information
Updated
Address
Oxford University Sports Centre, Iffley Road, OXFORD, OX4 1EQ
Opening times
Mon-Sun 0700-Dusk. Club times (exclusive, term-time only) Tue & Thu eves
Charges
Adult ?1.50, Junior unknown
Facilities
High Jump
1 HJ
Pole Vault
2 PV
Long Jump
2 LJ
Triple Jump
Shot Put
1 SP
Discus Throw
2 DT
Hammer Throw
1 HT
Javelin Throw
1 JT
Steeplechase Water Jump
Inside track, height fixed
Changing Rooms
Full in stadium building
Seating
499 covered
Athletics Clubs
Headington RRC Home Track
Oxford University AC
Oxford University Cross Country Club
Additional Information

Oxford University had a cinder track at the Marston Ground from 1867 but it was built on clay and was often flooded, or became so soggy it was unusable. A decision was thus made to build a new track at Iffley Road. The ground, leased from Christchurch College, was levelled in September 1876. The contractor, Mr Hobdell, used nine inches of burnt ballast as a foundation and four inches of fine cinders as the top dressing. The work was finished only 48 hours before the first meeting, which was the University Freshmen's Sports on 29-30 November 1876. Like Marston, the track was one-third of a mile round. Iffley Road was rebuilt as a 440y track on Roger Bannister's initiative in the post-war period, and there is a photo in "First Four Minutes" of the new track under construction. It was opened by the Vice-Chancellor in 1950, two years after Bannister's speech proposing a new track and also had a 220y straight. He subsequently recorded the legendary 3:59.4 mile on 6th May 1954 on the track. There is some footage of the actual race in the film 'The Four Minute Mile'. The track was officially opened as a synthetic (Chevron 440) track on 4th May 1977 although the work had been carried out in 1976. It was resurfaced in 1989 with Spurtan V. The track is now fairly worn and the LJ/TJ and PV runways are particularly bad. The capacity of the stand has been reduced to 499 to save money because, as a result of the Hillsborough tragedy, the cost of maintaining ones with 500 or more is substantially higher. The DT/HT cage is situated in an adjoining field and was built in Feb 2000 to replace the old external which was lost when an all-weather pitch was built over it several years ago. Click here to read details of the revamped Bannister track officially opened by Seb Coe on 10th May 2007.

Suggest an Edit

Spotted something out of date - opening times, charges, facilities? Suggest a correction and a track admin will review it.

Claim This Track

Own or manage this track? Login or register to claim it.

Advertisement
Quick Info
Certification
Restricted - valid until 31st Mar 2005 (DT excluded from internal cage)
Seating
499 covered
Changing
Full in stadium building
Authority
Oxfordshire
TrackSlot
Book track time →
Reserve a slot in seconds